Shocking footage shows moment woman was forced to give birth alone in jail cell while guards ignored her

CCTV footage shows the moment a woman was forced to give birth in a prison cell by herself “while prison guards ignored her”.

Diana Sanchez, 26, is seen writhing in agony and screaming as she lay on her back “on a cold hard bench, feet away from a toilet” as she pushed.

She had been locked up in a Denver County jail two weeks before on identity-theft related charges. She then went into labour on July 31, 2018, and gave birth unaided.

Six hours before she gave birth to her son Jordan, Sanchez claimed she told guards that she was going into labour. She alleged in a legal complaint that she told prison deputies and nurses “at least eight times” that she was experiencing contractions.

But the prison officials ignored her and she was left screaming in agony for hours without any anesthesia.

It was only after she gave birth that a male nurse, who was allegedly standing outside the cell watching in, is seen walking in to pick up the newborn son.

Mari Newman, Sanchez’s lawyer, told KDVR: “(He) picks up the baby as though he’s never seen one in his life. I mean, the lack of any sort of compassion is astounding.”

Sanchez claimed that is was only after she gave birth that an ambulance was called for her.

Speaking days after the birth Sanchez said: “That pain, it’s just, it’s indescribable. What hurts me more is the fact that nobody cared.”

On Wednesday lawyers filed a lawsuit claiming prison staff were aware Sanchez was giving birth and decided not to take her to hospital because it was “inconvenient”.

A Denver Sheriff’s Department spokesperson told BBC that Denver Health Medical provides “comprehensive medical care at both of our jails” and that professionals are “housed in the jail facilities and have dedicated medical units” to provide care.

The statement said: “We empathise with anyone who is in jail while pregnant, including Ms Sanchez.

“Ms Sanchez was in the medical unit and under the care of Denver health medical professionals at the time she gave birth.”

They said the department had changed its policies to ensure pregnant inmates are immediately transported to hospital.

Miners stage underground sit-in, demand for permanent employment

Unrest is currently been witnessed in the Miming sector of the nation as hundreds of mine workers are staging a sit-in underground at the Impala mine in Rusternburg in the North West. It’s believed the miners went underground on Thursday morning but have not resurfaced.

Loyiso Tybuko, a representative of mine workers union has confirmed to the media that the workers are demanding to be employed permanently. He said “They entered underground at 4am and until now they have not resurfaced. They been raising work related issues.  We have not sat down and decided to toyi-toyi. They want their outstanding monies.” He also said they are meeting with the mine management at this stage.

A mine worker, who asked to remain anonymous for fear of victimisation, says some of the relatives of the miners have gathered at the mine.

Man to be freed from prison after spending 36 years for stealing About R760

A man is due to be freed from prison after spending 36 years in jail for stealing $50.

Alvin Kennard was sentenced to life without parole under an old Alabama “three strikes” law.

Kennard was first charged with two counts of burglary first degree and grand larceny and received a three year suspended sentence in 1979. Four years later he was charged and convicted of robbery in the first degree after robbing a bakery of $50.

Since then, the 58-year-old has remained in jail on a life sentence under the Habitual Felony Offender Act.

Now, a judge has heard his plea to be released at a court hearing in Jefferson County. The court head Kennard, who has spent most of his adult life at the William E. Donaldson Correctional Facility in Bessemer, was ready to take responsibility for his past actions.

According to WBRC, Kennard said: “I’m sorry for what I did… I was wrong. I take responsibility for what I did in the past. I want the opportunity to get it right.”

Judge Carpenter is now said to be filing paperwork to the Department of Corrections ready for his release.

Nigerians stage protest at the Nigerian High Commission in Pretoria over xenophobic attacks

Nigerians in South Africa stormed the Nigerian High Commission in Pretoria, South Africa, to protest xenophobic attacks directed at them in South Africa.

 

The protesters, mostly made up of victims of xenophobic attacks in South Africa, said on Thursday, August 29, that they are angered by the recent massive looting of foreign-owned shops in the city by some South Africans.

They complained that they lost properties and business investments when South Africans carried out an attack on foreigners on Wednesday, August 28, at Pretoria business district.

South African indigenes carried out the attack in anger after a taxi operator was killed by a yet-to-be-identified man. During the attack, they resorted to looting shops owned by foreigners in their country and mostly Nigerians were the ones affected by this.

The Nigerians affected said they no longer feel safe in South Africa and accused the Nigerian representatives in South Africa of being slow in responding to their plight.

However, Defence Adviser, Nigerian High Commission in South Africa, Abubakar Mustapha, condemned the protesters for venting anger on the commission by destroying some properties.

“The way they went about it was quite unfortunate, they scaled the fence and almost destroyed the gate,” Mustapha said.

Nigeria High Commission officers later visited the scenes of the looting to see the level of damage done on businesses owned by Nigerians.

Former Water Affairs Minister spills hard at Gavin Watson Memorial

Memorial was held today at Roodepoort, Johannesburg for former CEO of  African Global Operations, previously known as Bosasa Gavin Watson who died in a car crash outside the OR Tambo International Airport earlier this week. Speaking at the memorial is member of the ANC national executive committee Nomvula Mokonyane who used the opportunity to blast those in the governing party whom she said turned their backs on the late Bosasa boss Gavin Watson, saying she will reveal all when the right time comes.

The former water affairs minister said “My time will come. I will tell what Gavin has done and not what [former Bosasa CFO Angelo] Agrizzi is saying…that time will come and I will tell my story. I came to know Watson the freedom fighter and have never distanced myself from him and will never do that,” she said to loud cheers from mourners gathered at the Little Falls church.

Mokonyane ashed at those in the ANC who “turned their backs” on Watson and would not be associated with him anymore. Watson helped them in the time of need, You looked after them after they returned from exile, you built them houses and educated some of them and their kids. Today they don’t wanna be associated with you. Some of them have gotten bigger than you, are richer than you…some of them live in bigger houses than yours and drive bigger cars.” She also said “Thank you for supporting the ANC when it was not fashionable to do so. Thank you for taking care of the vulnerable in Kagiso, Northern Cape and in Limpopo. Thank you.”

The former minister had more to spill when she said “If you ask me why I frequented Bosasa offices, I will tell you that’s because Bosasa was friendly to the ANC. This is a family that never shied from Nomvula. They never shied away from Surge Mokonyane [late husband] the terrorist who associated with Winnie Madikizela-Mandela when it was not popular to do so. Our story will be told. Gavin was no capitalist, he loved life. On what he did with Agrizzi, only God will judge. To the family, let us hold on to that God’s prayer. I say to you Gavin, love everybody but trust no one.” She added that the Watsons subscribed to a just course and love South Africa.

Angelo Agrizzi the former chief operating officer alleged that Watson was the mastermind behind Bosasa’s dodgy contracts with the government worth billions of rands. He said he decided to come clean and reveal all, told the state capture commission of inquiry that he was tasked with organising bribes in cash for former president Jacob Zuma, Cartier pens, a Louis Vuitton bag stuffed with banknotes for former South African Airways board chairwoman Dudu Myeni, and in the case of Mokonyane, huge orders of food and drinks for Christmas. Politicians and heads of prisons were provided with Free State of the art security systems at their properties, courtesy of Bosasa, now known as African Global Operations.

Gavin Watson’s family and scores of Bosasa employees gathered at the church to pay homage to the businessman they called “our leader”. They sang and praised their late CEO whom they said was being crucified by the media the same way Jesus Christ was vilified. Widow of slain SA Communist Party leader Chris Hani, Limpho Hani, also attended the service. Watson will be buried next week in Nelson Mandela Bay, Eastern Cape.

Two Men Arrested In Connection With The Murder Of A Woman And Her Helper In Zakariyya Park, Johannesburg.

The police has arrested two men, aged 26 and 34, in Zakariyya Park, South of Johannesburg on Friday after the bodies of a 39-year-old woman and her helper were discovered.
The suspects were suspected to be connected to their death after a vehicle belonging to the deceased was seen with one of the suspect.
Sgt Khalipha Mvula disclosed that the bodies were found on Thursday in a house in Clove Drive, Zakariyya park lying on the floor with an electrical cable around her neck and the body of the helper burnt beyond recognition.
He said; “The lifeless body of the 39-year-old owner of the house was discovered lying on the floor with an electrical cable around her neck, while the body of the female helper, whose age has not been determined at this stage, was found burnt beyond recognition inside a completely burnt out outbuilding.”
“Electrical appliances as well as a silver grey Chevrolet Cruze sedan belonging to the family were missing.”
One of the suspect was caught and arrested in the Johannesburg CBD after a vehicle which belongs to the family was taken from the house.
“The arrested suspect led the police to his accomplice, who was also arrested. He was in a taxi heading to Limpopo,” Mvula said

The bodies was noticed by a neighbour who was curious after hearing an explosion from the owner’s house.

The suspects are currently in police custody and have been charged with possession of suspected motor vehicle belonging to the victims. They might face more charges after much investigation is carried out.

Proposed Economy plan receives another blow from the Minister of Mineral Resources and Energy

The criticisms have not stopped rolling in for the finance minister Tito Mboweni and his proposed economic plan. The latest to shade the plan is minster for mineral resources and energy Gwede Mantashe.

The finance minister had suggested in his plan that Eskom could sell some coal-powered plants to raise R450-billion; but the mineral resources minister said that idea would leave the country in the dark. Mantashe said “It has become fashionable to attack coal, You can close all those coal power stations or sell them and sit in darkness because other sources of energy don’t produce more than 30 percent of our energy.”

Mantashe sized the opportunity to call for the National Energy Regulator of south Africa NERSA and ESKOM the nations Electricity Supply Commission  to fall under one department as he warned that their division is counter productive.

President Ramaphosa speaks about climate change at TICAD summit in Japan

The Amazon that has been burning for more than two weeks in Brazil has gotten the world’s attention. As the fire continues to raze down the amazon, president Ramaphosa has emphasised the serious threat posed to Africa by climate change, while addressing the Tokyo International Conference on African Development

He said “While the African continent contributes less than six percent of global greenhouse gas emissions, it has been disproportionately affected by more frequent extreme weather and climate events. During the past few years Southern Africa and other sub-regions of Africa have experienced devastating weather events, such as droughts, cyclones and floods.”

The timely climate change session chaired by UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres was the avenue used by Ramaphosa to explain the fact that climate-related disasters have grave consequences for human security, social stability and economic development, and are generally felt most severely by the poorest and most vulnerable in society. He stressed that is essential that African countries be provided with the necessary assistance to develop comprehensive risk management measures. He said “South Africa has made substantial progress in adopting and implementing disaster risk reduction strategies. This includes addressing the rising incidence and costs of disasters, the current and anticipated impacts of climate change, as well as the protection of critical ecosystem services and natural resources.”

President Ramaphosa has been away, attending the Tokyo International Conference on African Development VII Summit in Yokohama, Japan. The focus of which has been science, technology and innovation, human resource development and education, the oceans economy, climate change and disaster risk reduction, and agriculture.

As part of the activities lined up for the Summit, Ramaphosa visited the headquarters of Nissan in Yokohama, where he also engaged with business leaders at a South Africa-Japan Business Forum, and encouraged potential investors to collaborate with South Africa. Investors were invited to attend the South Africa Investment Conference due to take place in November. He also addressed the Japan-South Africa Business Expo which was hosted by the Japan External Trade Organisation. JETRO announced that 57% of Japanese firms currently based in Africa are planning to expand their businesses in the near future.

President Ramaphosa instructs investigation into Passenger Rail Agency

The allegations of maladministration levied at the Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa has been referred to the state’s special investigating unit by president Ramaphosa.

The ingestigation unit is mandated to probe allegations of improper or unlawful conduct by employees, unlawful appropriation or expenditure of public money, irregular procurement and more, according to a notice published on the government gazette website on Friday. The unit has been asked to investigate Prasa’s activities from at least as far back as 2010.

Thuli Madonsela, the former public protector in a report published in August 2016, said that an investigation into Prasa covering the period from about 2008 to 2013 found the company had a culture of “systemic failure” to comply with its own supply-chain policy.

EFF- economic growth proposal is ‘imperialism in action’

The economic growth proposal released by the finance minister Tito Mboweni is still receiving critiisms from opposition parties as EFF joined the train. Floyd Shivambu the deputy president of the Economic Freedom Fighter has also nailed the minister’s plan saying it is an “imperialism in action”.

The minister unmasked the economic growth plan on Tuesday and called upon South Africans to comment; he said the plan was an attempt to translate the broad outcomes of inclusive growth, economic transformation and competitiveness. Mboweni said the strategy was partly a response to SA’s decline in the global competitiveness rankings – falling from 44th to 67th between 2007 and 2018.

In an interview with the media, Shivambu said he believed the plan was drawn up by “consultants.” He said he doubts that it would lead to job creation and condemned the proposals for deviating from the ANC’s previous National Development Plan, adding that it contained a number of inconsistencies.

The deputy leader also pointed out that he plan did not mention anything about the “fourth industrial revolution.” He said “We are going to give a detailed response to what appears to be a consultant’s contribution on what should be the economic growth in SA.”

He didn’t forget to raise the issue with the policy document for allegedly privatising state-owned enterprises such as Eskom and Transnet. Shivambu said “It is a way of deepening neoliberalism and it’s not going to improve people’s conditions. It’s not going to create jobs, It is a fundamental departure from the NDP [National Development Plan] commitments, form the ANC’s manifesto commitments in terms of job creation and economic growth.”