Although we welcome the letter by newly appointed Cooperative Governance (COGTA) Minister Zweli Mkhize and the investigation into allegations of administrative malfeasance into Msunduzi Municipality, we are hopeful that this scope of investigation will also include the DA’s numerous requests for the investigation into:
- The irregular appointment of the municipal manager, Sizwe Hadebe;
- The employment of Clive Lotz, former defecting Ward 32 Councillor;
- The appointment of Dr Ray Ngcobo, former Msunduzi Senior Manager to the Municipal Manager position at UMgungundlovu District Municipality;
- The over-payment to KSA Security Company;
- The current financial crisis with regards to depleted funds;
- Nonpayment of service providers;
- Suspension of senior staff with pay indefinitely; and
- Service delivery strikes due to poor management.
If the Minister is serious about clean governance and service to the people, he will institute an investigation into the office of the COGTA MEC in KZN due to the fact that the majority of Council in the province are under financial strain, using their grant funding to substitute for operational expenses.
It is now time for Minister Mkhize to act without fear or favour and act decisively on these errant cadres.
The DA has since 2016 written numerous letters to the MEC Nomusa Dube Ncube as well as former Minister Van Rooyen, requesting that Msunduzi Municipality be put under administration because residents deserve better.
The Minister must not be blinded by the current factional fighting in Msunduzi which has seen ANC members marching into the ANC Moses Mabhida offices. He needs to show leadership.
The DA will continue fighting for clean governance in Msunduzi.